This is the third painting of Sadie. This time it is on a half sheet of watercolor paper which measure 15" x 22" less margins. There are several very pale layers on the skin and a couple of layers on the hair. The eyes still need to be defined more and I will do that next before working on the hair and shadow areas. I also changed the direction of the light source to the front in this painting from the previous back lit studies.
There has been a lot of buckling with this paper this time. Because of that I have been painting with watery color and then using a clean, moist brush to try to blend out any hard edges. So far I have used New Gamboge, Lemon Yellow, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Sienna, Cobalt Blue Hue, and Viridian. I had to drive to the University yesterday for Cobalt Blue paint and all they had was the hue. It is working pretty well though as the color has good intensity.
I worked more on this painting, adding glazes and detail. The background isn't working for me. Perhaps the reddish colors need to be muted or grayed a bit. While painting the mouth the paper started to bead just a little so had to use a very gentle touch. Below is shown the full size painting then a cropped view. I also need to lighten the line around the chin.